Father Marquette Statue
Date created: 1897
Artist: Gaetano Trentanove
The Father Marquette Statue was dedicated on July 15, 1897, and gifted to the city of Marquette by Peter White. The brass statue was sculpted in Florence, Italy, by the renowned sculptor Gaetano Trentanove. This statue is one of two replicas created by Trentanove, the other stands in Statuary Hall in Washington, DC, and is considered to be one of the finest sculptures in the national collection. Trentanove made two trips to Marquette during the creation of our statue. Weighing 1 1/2 tons, the cast bronze statue cost $6000 and was originally situated near the original Waterworks Plant at the southeast end of East Ridge Street. It was moved in 1913 to its current location in the Father Marquette Park on Front & Baraga Street.
Fun Fact: The Father Marquette Statue's reliefs were restored in 2013 by Giorgio Gikas, a conservator from Venus Bronze Works in Detroit. The Marquette Beautification Committee generously maintains the landscaping surrounding the statue and hillside.
A memory garden was established in the park to honor Tami Dawidowski, former MBRC President, whose extraordinary leadership, endless determination, and encouraging foresight led to the project's development. A scenic overlook was dedicated to Karl G. Zueger, Marquette Community Service Director and Assistant City Manager, for his selfless efforts to the community and procuring a DNR Grant for the park.