Our listings are living and growing resources.
If you have suggestions or resource requests please email them to with the subject RESOURCES. Thank you!

Commonly Requested Permits

Filming a commercial for your downtown business? Perhaps you’re getting footage of your latest big adventure! 

If your film includes city owned property, you need permission. Just fill out this permit and you’re good to go!

Apply for city approval and support for a community event or activity that will block a City Street, interfere with, or impede traffic flow.

Block party, Parade, Run/Bike Events, etc.

More guidelines for public right of way closure for community events can be found here.

Community Event Right of Way Use Permit

For private events and activities a permit will need to be obtained to close a public right of way (street/sidewalk)

If your event is free and open to the community (art demonstration, performance, open house, festival, parade, etc.) NO FEE will be issued. Please submit a Community right of way use permit

If your event/activity is private (ticketed, invite-only, construction, etc.) please review the FEE SCHEDULE 

General Right of Way Use Permit

City Policies for Arts & Culture

Noises that are unnecessary or unusually loud or any noise which either annoys, disturbs, injures, or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of others are PROHIBITED within the limits of the city.

Specific disturbances include:

  • Audio Producing Devices (radios, live music amplifiers, home speakers, video audio, etc) – MUST be kept at a volume limited to convenient hearing for the persons who are in the room, vehicle or chamber in which such machine or device is operated. It must not disturb involuntary listeners.
  • Loudspeakers and  amplifiers CANNOT be used for advertising or to draw attention to a private business on public streets
  • Excessive vocalizations (yelling, shouting, hooting, whistling, or singing) – excessive is defined by plainly audible at a distance of 50 feet from its point of origin with intent to annoy or disturb
  • Hawkers and Peddlers – shouting is prohibited
  • Instruments and Equipment – The use of any drum or other instrument or device for the purpose of attracting attention is prohibited

*Public addresses (non-commercial) are permitted reasonable use of amplifiers

Consolidated Noise Ordinance as it generally pertains to Arts and Culture

Full Ordinance

All postings and advertisement handouts must be on private property with permission

No person shall attach, place, paint, write, stamp, or paste any sign, advertisement, or any other matter upon any property or thing belonging to the city, or on any article or thing within any park. Public officers posting any notice required or permitted by law shall be excepted from the provisions of this section.

No person shall distribute, throw, drop or scatter any poster, handbill, card, sample, or other advertising material in any public place, or in or upon any vehicle.

No person shall distribute handbills nor posters on private property without first having obtained the written permission of the owner or occupants of the premises 

Full Ordinance

No person shall smoke in a public place, a public park or in any business or place of employment except with a City of Marquette Special Events Permit.

No alcoholic beverages shall be consumed, nor may any person possess an open container of an alcoholic beverage on a public highway, sidewalk or public parking lot.
An open container is defined by a broken original seal.

Areas alcohol consumption is permitted:

  1. Tourist Park
  2. Hurley Field
  3. Sidewalk cafes—Allowed by permit only

By special permit only: (Contact the Office of Parks & Recreation for permit application)

  1. McCarty’s Cove (park and beach area)
  2. South Beach Park
  3. Marquette Senior Center Citizen Meeting Rooms
  4. Elwood A. Mattson Lower Harbor Park
  5. Marquette Commons
  6. Presque Isle Park Pavilion
  7. Lakeview Arena
  8. City streets and rights-of-way

Any group of ten or more persons must first obtain a permit from the Office of Parks and Recreation in order to possess and/or consume beer and/or wine in all public areas.

For festivals or community events please consult the Special Event Packet for further guidelines on liquor licenses and alcohol consumption 

Full Ordinance

No person shall conduct, maintain or operate any theater without first obtaining a license.

Theater includes any structure used primarily for entertainment on the stage or screen.

Full Ordinance

No license or permit is needed to busk in the City of Marquette, but ALL performers MUST:

  • Only perform in designated locations between the hours of 9am and 11pm (Park hours are dawn to dusk).
  • Allow for free and safe movement of pedestrians.
  • Accept contributions in a reasonably sized receptacle and NOT solicit or offer product/services for sale
  • Limit instruments, equipment, and props to that which can be transported in one trip.
  • NOT use any amplification, generator or electrical connection to a building.
  • NOT use any materials, methods or beings which may cause bodily harm to self or passerbys.
  • Be 15 years or older (younger must be accompanied by an adult)

Perform/performance means a live, public presentation or exhibition which includes, but is not limited to, the following activities: acting, singing, playing a musical instruments, pantomime, juggling, magic, dancing, reading aloud, puppetry, art demonstrations, and performing of any sort.

Full Ordinance

Detailed Recreation Map

Click the Map for an interactive Google map of approved busking locations: