RECONNECTING OUR COMMUNITY THROUGH A SHARED LOVE OF THE ARTS
In the early 1910’s, Jafet Rytkonen was a partner in the Star Theater and Liberty Theaters in Negaunee, but he had a desire for a larger, grander theater. Jafet and his associates traveled to theaters all over the world, taking note of each theater’s best features. He then hired architect David E. Anderson to design “the grandest vaudeville and movie theater north of Milwaukee and east of Minneapolis.” Ground for the theater was broken in 1925. A naming contest was held, and Negaunee resident Mae Duchane provided the winning name. She was awarded $25 in gold. The fifth, and final standing theater to be built in Negaunee, the Vista Theater opened on September 20, 1926.
Jafet Rytkonen ran the Vista until his retirement in 1950, after which his son, William, and son-in-law, Peter Ghiardi took over operations. Rytkonnen & Sons eventually expanded their operations to include not only the Vista, but both the Ishpeming Theater and Butler Theater in Ishpeming. The Vista Theater remained open until 1972, when William Rytkonen died.
In 1973, a group of local citizens formed the Peninsula Arts Appreciation Council (PAAC). They took over the running of the Vista, updated some features and in 1975 began using it as a venue for multiple artistic forms, including amateur theater productions, musical programs, concerts, films, puppet shows, art exhibits, and arts workshops. On July 22, 2005, the structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. PAAC co
Mar 18 - Apr 30, 2020