NMU Music Department
The Department of Music is Northern Michigan University’s resource for those seeking a comprehensive music education and for all who wish to enrich their lives through involvement in, and enjoyment of, music. Its academic purpose is to advance the university mission by providing undergraduate programs for professional training in music, studies in music as a liberal art, and opportunities for the general university student in applied study, music courses, and ensemble performance. On a broader level it exists to enrich the present culture, preserve artistic heritage, and facilitate the emergence of new creative expressions for the future. The Department pursues these purposes through the following goals:
• Provide undergraduate programs and curricula of the highest quality for students aspiring to careers in music and music education.
• Provide non-majors with opportunities to explore musical interests and develop musical skills and knowledge
• Contribute to the cultural enrichment of the university, community, and region through concerts, recitals, guest artists, and educational offerings as well as through faculty scholarship in teaching and performing, and conducting.
• Support public school music education through outreach to schools, advocacy for the arts, and campus events, including festivals, teacher in-service, summer music camps, and other offerings.
• Maintain a positive teaching, learning, and artistic environment that attracts and retains a high quality and diverse student body and faculty.
• Enhance the life of the university community through service performances at commencement ceremonies, athletic events, and other university occasions.