RECONNECTING OUR COMMUNITY THROUGH A SHARED LOVE OF THE ARTS
The City Office of Arts and Culture announces a public contest for cover art for the City of Marquette Art Week 2023 Booklet. Submitted designs must be relevant to and obviously inspired by the Art Week 2023 theme of Home. The winner will receive $100.00 compensation and their work will be featured on the cover of the Art Week 2023 printed booklet. The deadline for submission is 5:00 PM on Thursday, April 13, 2023. All artwork will be uploaded to www.mqtcompass.com and open to public vote April 17th -21st. The 2023 Art Week cover will be chosen by popular choice. The winner will be notified by April 24th.
MISSION: The mission of Art Week is to build and empower a vibrant community through the arts through facilitating partnerships, empowering and showcasing our creative community, and enhancing and expanding audience engagement.
2023 THEME: HOME What does home mean to you? Is it a place, or a feeling? Is it something that you find, or something that you make? What makes Marquette feel like Home? What could make it feel more like Home? We encourage you to think creatively about how the arts can articulate what Home means to you and the community we share.
The theme of home is inspired by the City of Marquette’s ongoing Community Master Plan Update. The Community Master Plan will provide a long-term vision for Marquette and guide the development of our community. What values define Marquette? How do we navigate public spaces and where do we spend our time? What stories do we tell when asked about our time here? How can we improve our community, and what sort of place do we wish to build for our next generations? Art Week projects and events will explore our community’s ideas of Home and how arts and culture can help us envision our future.
Rules and Submission Requirements
1. The contest is open to all individuals. Minors (under the age of 18) will need parental consent.
2. One submission per person.
3. The winner will receive $100.00 compensation.
4. The winner’s artwork will be featured on the cover of the Art Week 2023 printed event booklet and guide. This publication will be an 8.5×11” glossy, full-color booklet that will be widely distributed as an event guide, host to an assortment of articles, and a summer event calendar. The chosen artwork will also be featured prominently on the Art Week website alongside an online gallery of all submissions.
5. Designs may be created with graphic design programs, pencils, crayons, markers, pen, ink, paint or photography. Non-digital works must be scanned and submitted as a digital file. Original work must be available if selected for digital formatting. Submissions should be formatted as high resolution .png files and scanned at 400dpi. Artwork must easily fit to an 8.5×11 inch printed space. Physical work 11×14” or smaller can be scanned at the City Office of Arts and Culture.
6. Submitted designs must be relevant to and obviously inspired by the Art Week 2023 theme of Home.
7. If selected, winner agrees to assign reproduction rights to the City of Marquette. Artist will retain full intellectual property rights to the original artwork. Winner agrees that the City of Marquette may use their submission for reproduction, advertising and/or marketing materials pertaining to Art Week 2023.
8. The City of Marquette may alter, modify or revise the winning submission as it sees fit to achieve the needs of the City. The City will notify artist prior to doing so.
9. All submissions will be featured on www.mqtcompass.com/artweek in a publicly accessible and promoted online gallery.
10. All submitted designs and images must be the original work of the artist.
11. Designs deemed offensive or inappropriate will be disqualified.
12. The City of Marquette reserves the right to extend all deadlines associated with this contest.
13. Submissions must be accompanied by artist’s name, address, phone number, email address, and parent/guardian name and contact information if under the age of 18.
14. The deadline for submission is 5:00 PM on Thursday, April 13, 2023. All artwork will be uploaded to www.mqtcompass.com and open to public vote April 17th -21st. The 2023 Art Week cover will be chosen by popular choice. The winner will be notified by April 24th.
15. Submissions must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ART WEEK 2023 COVER